Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Politics and Labels - New York's Fighting 23rd

Here in the 23rd US Congressional District of New York, we have an interesting race for our representative in The House.

It seems, in order to try and shake things up, Obama has appointed our would-have-been nine-term-incumbent Republican representative, John McHugh to the post of secretary of the Army. While I didn't get to speak with Mr. McHugh, his staffers and I were becoming fast friends through my phone calls and letters regarding the "Cap and Tax" and "Audit the Fed" bills.

Somehow, the Republican party was in the process of running a candidate, Dede Scozzafava, who was in favor of the stimulus package, among other less than conservative positions. As a member of the Campaign for Liberty, and a local coordinator, I've been trying to help educate everyone I can about our Constitution, and just how far we have strayed from its roots. It seems I wasn't the only one (thankfully). Scozzafava dropped out of the race this past weekend, and decided to show her true colors by backing the running Democrat.

Doug Hoffman, a local conservative received the Republican blessing and the race is on. Not a particularly eloquent speaker, Hoffman's big line is "Vote row D, for Doug". He is a CPA who decided to run for office, because he cares about conservative values. He looks pretty lame on television, but I don't care. I'm not voting for a movie star - I want someone who is going to vote for auditing the Federal Reserve. I want someone who is going to vote to end our attempted police occupation of the world. I want someone who will help put an end to fiat money. I want someone who is going to return us to the values and checks and balances established within our Constitution. I hope Dough Hoffman will be that man. He's getting my vote today.

Perhaps more interesting than the race for office, is the way that the well-funded media news organizations are characterizing this whole thing. If I were to believe CNN, for example, it would seem that Sara Palin and Rush Limbaugh chose Doug Hoffman from on-high, because there is "no room for moderates" in the Republican party. While those two demagogues did push this story on to the national stage, they actually have little to do with the grass-roots organizations moving throughout all of Upstate New York. So, it would seem these major news stations are attacking Hoffman's candidacy through trying to discredit the Republican Party for being radical extremists.

Another attack on Doug Hoffman's candidacy comes as a criticism being made about his place of residency. Although Mr. Hoffman grew up in the 23rd Congressional District, and has several business offices currently in the 23rd, he doesn't actually live in the 23rd today. Why not? Because he was "gerrymandered" out of it some time ago. Most of the news organizations I've heard report on this, leave that fact out. They are just saying, "he doesn't even live in the 23rd District". Sometimes, what they fail to report is more important than what they do report. Doug Hoffman is an Upstate New York Business Man. I can think of no better representative who will have what it takes to help restore our Upstate economy.

I have only lived in the 23rd Congressional District for just under a year now; but as I understand it, we haven't had a Democrat as a representative since the times of our Revolutionary War. I hope we continue our conservative voting tendencies, and I pray that we continue to spread the word about sound money and Constitutional ideals. I'm voting for Doug Hoffman today, and if you are a neighbor of mine, I encourage you to do the same.

Ken Walling

No comments:

Post a Comment